Building on Onward’s Levelling Up research, and earlier partnerships with Core Cities and Key Cities, this event will bring together senior policymakers and other stakeholders to discuss the Government’s levelling up agenda and how devolving power to the regional level can support left behind communities across the UK.
It will be a chance to consider which powers and funding are needed to make regional devolution a long-term success, and what people should realistically expect from the new devolved administrations. In addition, this panel event will consider how local leaders can ensure their places are more globally competitive, and create the foundation for long term economic success in some of the areas which need it most.
Participants will include:
- Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands
- Nicola Richards MP for West Bromwich East
- Cllr Drew Mellor, Leader of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council
- Cllr Brigid Jones, Deputy Leader of Birmingham City Council, and member of Core Cities
- Rob Parsons, Northern Agenda Editor for Reach
The panel discussion will be chaired by Adam Hawksbee, Deputy Director, Onward.